Sunday, June 22, 2008

Let's see.

I think I will stop talking about training for awhile and rant about the stuffs affecting training and things about it for this post. I think this will be a long post, but I really can't be bothered.

First up, about how newcomers think about Parkour.
I can really see plentiful newcomers nowadays, they have potential, as in they have the skills. They are very good, they progress very fast. Some of them do strength training, conditioning, and stuffs. Thats good, but there is one thing about it - Why do they even train? I can see alot of newcomers now, they don't mean what they say too. They go on saying, "I train to get stronger/to improve myself/so that I can escape/for myself." or "Because its fun/I like it." Whatever the reasons is, although might not sound appropriate, as long as they mean what they say, and they know what they are doing. So far, most of the answer to the question when I ask them "Why do you Parkour?" are short answers and very cliche ones. Do you expect me to believe what they say? I think they read it from some where and just blindly copy-and-pasted it to the conversation.

Yeah you get what I mean. The way I see those newcomers train Parkour, is quite negative. Some of them do Parkour just like any other hobby or pastime, or they just do it for the sake of it, unknowingly, or some even worse, for showing off purposes, to be better then others, or whatever other nonsense. Its true, damn true. Just look around you nowadays. No one takes Parkour as a serious discipline now. Although Parkour is meant to be fun and stuffs, but the way they do it now is like just any other sports you see, rollerskating, bboying, skateboarding. So what if you are so good or what, when your mindset sucks.

I can't do anything to it though.

Sometimes when we are doing stuffs, training, we never realize something. About the chances of bailing. It's not about bailing as in the very obvious of like slipping, or missing the rail, or falling backwards if you missed the precision. It is about the very minor aspect of obstacle, that is really dumb. I still remember I did a barefooted wallpass at 497 where my toe got scraped because of a stupid crack on the floor. And yesterday I did something really dumb at home where I ran so close to the door then I really accidentally unexpectedly banged my knee to the side of the doorframe. I dont know why, and I know you guys think that thats stupid. But it happened, and now my toe is sprained.

Its very retarded and I really hate it. It keeps making you have the "if only you didn't do that" feeling. Very irritating. And because of this very very stupid bail you are off training for a couple of days, and those days can be used for some training. But I'm seriously not going to use this as an excuses really, and adapt through. I'm gonna do upperbody training then, and if possible, still do squats. But I still can't get over the fact that I was sooooooooo careless. What a mistake..

And then there was something I learnt about tricking. Whatever you do sometimes, NEVER, ever, bail from a trick. Because it will screw up muscle memory hell alot. It will make you think about what happened the last time you tried it, and how badly you bailed. I went to trick at a huge field, and I got back my backflip, and at the same day, I lost it once again. Shit man, I really hate the stupid thing that makes you suddenly freak out in mid-air. I hate bailing man, I know no one does, just when I got over my fear for a while, I lost it again. Argh.

Hmmm, last friday this idiotic old man looked at me like want to fight like that, when I did a wallpass in a kinda public area. I really don't understand what he wants man. I really don't understand what some public holds against us. We are doing our own thing, we just left some shoeprints on the wall and our handprints everywhere, we are not vandalizing and breaking stuffs, and we are training and not doing "dangerous" stuffs like what they think. We know what we are doing and we ourselves know the risk of the "sport". Damn, why am I talking about all this shit.

I also really don't understand what does newcomers wants with flips. I think most of the traceurs wants to flip, thats ok, I'm not against it. But I'm not sure why newcomers get so excited when the see in Singapore Parkour video with a gym. And they go on shouting "IS THIS GYM OPEN TO PUBLIC!??". And I swear when we include some flips into a video, although how sucky the flips is, the guys (the Singapore Parkour scene, that is) will say 'NICE FLIPS!" You see what I mean? And they go on doing freestyling moves and think its soo cool. It really makes me think alot of kids or newcomers nowadays wanna do parkour to look good, to look cool, for aesthetics and other shit reasons. I'm not against newcomers wanting to learn flips, but rather puzzled and irritated why newcomers are always easily attracted to "flippy stuffs". You get what I mean.

And why do so many people hate training at the gym? I have so many fucking excuses like "Parkour is about handling your own bodyweight, so obviously it would be better to train with any added weights." OR "Weights will stunt your growth." OR "Weight training only makes you slower." OR plenty other probably bullshit like how you get injuries when you're old and how unapplicable or unpractical it is. I would you the easiest of comebacks of "How sure are you of stating such statements?", because nowadays everyone is blurting shits out of their mouths thinking their right and stuffs when they actually haven't got a clue.

Also nowadays guys are training anyhow with no aim in mind, and they don't even train constantly, and they don't train alone. Some even don't train strength at all, only movements, movements and movements. And yet say "while doing movements I'm conditioning myself." which is probably one of the biggest joke of all. They don't even train properly. I really don't know what to say.

Lets cut that off and get training back to topic.

I'm gonna make a video now. I really wanna refilm alot of stuffs because its quite boring now, and I think I need to brush up on certain things. I need to get a list of things I wanna film and work on it. And I'm gonna start editing soon, hope to get everything clean. I'm still not sure what other clips I need but I'm sure needing more. I just need to think of stuffs right now.

It just sucks to know that sometimes, when you are the one doing the movement(s), then you needa get a filmer to film you. But the filmer just doesn't know the way you want your movement to be filmed. Then we will keep refilming and asking about what he did wrong, only to know that the filmer will go "YOU VERY MAHUAN LEH," or you'll just make him feel lousy. Its one of the very probelmatic things filmers faces sometimes.

And I have quite a number of other videos that I thought of and wanna try to experiment with filming and editing too. I'm gonna say roughly that the video that I'm working on right now would be more focused on the filming and editing rather then movements. I think half of the video will be showing editing tricks, timelapse, random stuffs, you get the drift. I just added movements because thats what I like and just to not make viewers bored. I'll just hope that the video turns out well. But then I still got a couple of stuffs left to film. The other videos, so far actually only two other videos that I'm confirm to be working on is just some random ideas I've gotten. First one was an idea I long thought off, basically focusing on the speed of movements. The another one would be focusing on the environment and the movements and peace of it, I just need to find a perfect area for this. Thats all for spoilers.

Training now has been halted sadly because of my fucking toe, but I got everything under scheduled and I'm gonna test for my 1rm squats and test my 100m/40y/vert/boxjump before the month ends.

THATS ALL FOLKS.

No comments: