Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Why?

So much of exploration, thinking, analysing, experiencing, and experimenting

I asked myself why when I'm free, I get my ass to the outside and train.
I asked myself why I keep drilling my precisions, SDCs, wallpasses, armjumps.
I asked myself why am I doing this everyday, train everyday, practice everyday.
Yet I don't know why.

Its just, like that. Its something I couldn't explain. Past few mind trainings proved worthwhile. I finally know why I practice Parkour. The reason is so true, so simple, yet I took so long to realize it. Whats the reason?

Simple - I love it.
I enjoy every single aspect of it.
Simple as it seems, but there is so much more to it.

Parkour is already been part of my life. I know I'm serious in this, even though I lack the time, I will find some time to train. Even though I don't feel like training, I will at least do some strength training. Even when my parents don't let me go out, I practice rolls and do some stuffs at home. I WILL be doing something, no matter what. The things that matter is the mind. Its all in your heart, your conscience, your mentality.

I know alot of people with this thinking too.
But I just don't like the other people who give excuses.

People who train this discipline for different reasons. For me, I just love it. People who train for the satisfaction, for being better then others, for FUN, because of their friends, as an sport/hobby/pastime, because its fun, to become fit, to help others, to become stronger, to relieve stress, etc. are stupid reasons. I admit I also do it because its fun, it does relieve stress, to become stronger and fitter, to help others, but there is so much more to that. And the rest of the reasons are sad to hear. Hopefully in time to come if they are really serious, they will find their own way, their own reasons.
And its not a temporary discipline where you can have pauses, where you can have breaks, where you can quit halfway.

For me, practicing parkour is like eating, essential to live. Its a routine. Its in my schedule. I see "training" on my timetable everyday. Because its part of life.

Everytime I walk to school, and balance on ledge, I pretend that the grass are untouchable and I step on branches, rocks and drain covers. If I pass by a pull bar and will do muscleups. I don't plan to do them, they just come into my mind, its like automatic, its my way of travelling, its my walkway. I wouldn't stand a day doing what I did years ago, like every typical humanoids, I just can't. Parkour is my life. Of course, life doesn't revolve only around Parkour, videography is something I really like too. My interest in videography and parkour is what my life 80%(+/-) is about.
Now I realize why when we are young we use to play in playgrounds, step on certain coloured floors and avoiding the grey ones, jump over drain covers on walkways. Because its what we are meant to do. Only once we become older and "more mature", we start to think that all of that is "childish" and gotten rid of our common sense, thanks to the others.

Now I understand it doesn't matter if you suck, you progress so slow, you cannot do so many stuffs, you are so inconsistent, you are so lousy, you are lousier then other people, etc., because seriously it doesn't matter. As long as you are better then yourself yesterday (can be in terms of technical, physical, mental or experiences), nothing is wrong. So what if you lose some of your skills? Its so normal, your body is not used to it yet, just train back for it. So what if you suck at something, and you take so long to get something? Progressing slowly means less injuries, more experiences. Why the rush and the hurry, no one is pushing you. We should stop worrying and complaining about everything, just accept everything and treat it positively.

I admit there was time I thought that I suck, I progress so slowly, my friends are better then me, I lose my skills every now and then, I need to catch up someone, I need to be better then others, I need to buck up and train harder, I need to get back my SDC, I need to get something ASAP. There was times of agony, comparison, competition and jealousy. But I start to realize, its the mind that matters. Why the rush, why the jealous, why the thought? I train for myself. No one can steal time. No one else matter. There is no need to feel that way.
Now there is no more such thoughts. Even if there is, I will realize that it is bad and try to get rid of it.

Whats worth mentioning is, you learn something new everyday.

What Danny Ilabaca said at the QNA Rendezvous video really inspired me. "I wake up and jog to the beach because its life, I don't wake up and jog to the beach to become any better, its because its me." (something like that). I should train like that. I don't think I should train to be able to do the harder and bigger things, I should train because I want to, and doing those stuff that I used to be unable to is just the outcome of training. The reason why I wanna nail something that I once couldn't is because its serves as a target, to see how much I progress. And its because I want to, and thats what I live for - pushing my limits and face new challenges (in a smart and safe way of course).

Parkour had taught me to realize that the only competitor is you. Why should I compare myself to others, in terms of everything? No one else matter. Games that involve competition, I play for the game, its just a game, as long as I don't have competitive thinking after the match, I'm ok.

Parkour taught me to treat everything as obstacle. In training we faces obstacles, we overcome obstacles. In life we faces obstacles, we overcome obstacles. We don't run away from it or try to cover up those obstacles, overcoming them is the key. Don't give excuses or use stupid reasons to convince yourself otherwise and decieve yourself, face the obstacle and overcome it (in an efficient way, maybe).

Parkour taught me that there is no limit in life. Everything is possible, its the matter whether you want it or not. Want as in REALLY WANT, not just want. I learnt that there is no such thing is "cannot", only "not yet". Wishing, hoping, and aspiring can only get you this far, the next stage is to work for it. Action talks louder then words. And, you can never be perfect, because you can always improve, and there will always be room for improvement. And there is so many situations and ways to train for, with creativity you cannot reach a limit. For every high mountain, there will always be a higher one. Reaching for perfection is a better word to use.

Parkour had made me a better person overall. I have higher self-esteem and determination. People might laugh at me because I practiced Parkour, laugh at my videos, laugh at me, last time I used to feel bad, but now, I find them funnier then they find me. Because of many reasons, but I don't care. Anyway, so what? No matter what they say, they can't have any effect on me.

Parkour made me a human again. Our body is meant to move, to be used, not to rot, doing stupid stuffs and slack alot. It widened my perception of life. It made me stronger, wiser, more creative and better. Although I still eat alot of junks, my nutrition improved way better then last time. I used to eat KFC 3 times a week, eat nothing but rice and fried chicken, very choosy in food, but now, I know I'm eating healthier. And its not yet too late to change.
If I hadn't know this discipline, I would still be going out with friends, wasting money, doing stupid stuffs, playing online games all day long, live without a reason.

Parkour also taught me the capabilities of my (or the human's) body. What I realize is I can do many things that I once thought I couldn't. I learnt alot about my body and now I try to listen to my body, not the mind. Our mind are full of bad thoughts, only thinking about what we want and what we desire. When our body wants good food because its hungry, the mind wants to eat delicious but unhealthy food. In the end, we feel "good" because we satisfy our mind, but we don't know what we are doing to our bodies, which is something very bad. So now I try my best to listen to my body and try to take away all the bad thoughts in my mind.
Knowing our body and our limits is a very important thing too. We should know what we are capable of and not doing something stupid. Pushing our limits is good, but in a smart, gradual, progressive, incremental manner.

I find that those average human beings nowadays are losing the sense of being a human. Life should be fun, we all want to lead a good and happy life, but obviously its not possible. Now humans find weird ways to find fun, I know that everyone have different ways of attaining fun, but fun in a HUMAN way. I don't really get it, why people like LAN gaming, shopping, going out with friends, socializing, playing computer games, eating KFC, smoking, acting like a gangster, blah blah, FUN. Fine its good to socialize, its good to relieve stress play computer games, but they are torturing their own body, by being all so sedentary and slacky. Oh well, they won't understand.
"What a human should be - smart, cunning, agile, strong, endurant, powerful." Hebertiste.

I learnt to appreciate everything in life, and appreciate much more since I start practicing Parkour. Now I know the reason of living. I find that there is so much more to life and its time I appreciate that I have one. Those challenges, obstacles, hardship, fun, joy, happiness, agony, frustations, anger, sadness, stress, situations, irritation, etc. are something to experience and learn from. It adds taste and colours to life. Accept everything and treat them positively.

I learnt that you WILL NOT be able to have things your way. You cannot control things. Other people and inanimate objects cannot be controlled. And I learnt that in life there are fullll of obstacles. Small ones, big ones, they keep coming. This is part and parcel of life, get used to it and live through it. Everyone is different, they have different thinking. Another thing I learnt is the thing that you REALLY WANT will come to you, given that you give it time, patience, hardwork and effort, and EVENTUALLY you will get it.
I remember Castle's wall was once crazily high, and it was once unclimbable. Lets see what will happen to Dino's wall.

We walk around the city's busiest street and we see everyone as an average human being, but each and everyone of them are very unique and each and everyone of them are more then what we all think. An ordinary person is extraordinary person. It's more than meets the eye. Same for me. I wonder what a stranger would think about me, and what will his reaction be once I tell him more about me.

Its the love and freedom of movement.
When I do a precision jump, what do I aim? Others will say, drilling it, repeating it, to get better in it, to get used to it, to gain muscle memory, improve on it, train for control, to get stronger, to get the feel of it. I used to say the same, but now, I think the real aim is, to do a precision jump. Nothing else. I see a wall, my aim = get over the wall, why? Because I want to and I like it. Its simple, but again, it so much more then it looks.

Because of all of this, I'm confident that Parkour with be "permanent and attached" to my life, and I will train till old age. Its lifelong and everyday. With passion and determination, patience and effort, the sky's the limit.
I'm not practicing Parkour, what I'm doing is living life.
I'm not a traceur, I'm CP.

And there's still a long long long way to go. What's ahead is yet to be known.

P.S- Don't expect to read a post similar to this for a long time.

No comments: